CBR's lab stores over 500,000 cord blood and cord tissue stem cell units. As a result of our size, we are able to continuously invest in clinical trials, product innovation, and our lab and storage facility. We own our state-of-the-art facility. And, we continually invest in quality and security. This means our families will always have access to their stem cells.
Certified Genetic Counselor Staff
As a trusted resource for families, CBR offers Genetic Counselors on staff to help families make informed choices about newborn stem cell banking. Our team of certified professionals are available to:
- Perform family history screenings with identified families that have a medical indication for cord blood banking
- Discuss how families may qualify for our Newborn Possibilities Program, a program that offers free newborn stem cell processing and five years storage for families with a qualifying medical need
- Inform clients of their options if their cord blood unit does not adhere to CBR quality standards
- Identify and assist families eligible for FDA-regulated clinical trials
The Quality Standard
As part of CBR's Quality Standard, we test every cord blood sample for the following quality measurements:
- Cell Count
Our Genetic Counselors are on staff to review these results and provide notification and consultation.
Upon arrival at our facility, CBR will determine the suitability of the sample for processing and storage based on the results of the above quality measurements and other guidelines (such as sample age at receipt, positive testing for certain infectious diseases, or other adverse variables to sample quality).
Track My Kit
CBR works with Quick International, a private courier service with 30 years of experience as the market leader in the transport of cord blood, tissue, organs, and the U.S. blood inventory. CBR offers our clients a unique "Track My Kit" system to provide progress updates as the kit containing the cord blood travels to our lab. If it gets lost or damaged while in transit with Quick International, you are covered by a $2,500 warranty.
Accredited and LicensedAt CBR, all processing, quality control, and quality assurance metrics are in accordance with:
- FDA guidelines
- AABB (formerly the American Association of Blood Banks)
- CLIA: Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services CLIA program.
- California Dept of Public Health: Cord Blood, Cord Tissue, and Clinical Testing
- Illinois Department of Health
- Maryland Tissue Bank Permit
- New Jersey State License Blood Bank
- New York State Department of Health: Cord Blood and Cord Tissue*
- ISO 9001:2008 certified.
We chose the site of our lab for one reason in particular: safety. As one of the safest cities in the US, Tucson ensures our families’ samples will be protected from natural disaster. Natural disasters, such as hurricanes, tornadoes, and earthquakes, could interrupt consistent long-term storage of stem cells.
Hover over the different risk type to view affected regions.
Secure Storage and Processing
CBR’s laboratory was specifically designed for newborn stem cell processing and storage, and consequently, CBR has invested millions of dollars to help ensure the long-term safety and viability of your newborn's stem cells.
Our secure facility is strengthened by bullet resistant glass, a floor load capacity that can hold 800,000 pounds (16x the standard requirements), a liquid nitrogen tank the size of a 747 jet, one of the largest back-up generators available, and temperature monitoring every 1.6 seconds.
CBR's quality control team performs over 5 million sample checks per year which includes 3 million temperature checks, 20,000 environmental sterility tests, and 95 control checks on each sample to ensure processes are working correctly so that your family's stem cells are kept protected. At CBR we take the safe storage of your stem cells seriously.
Tour the largest, most technologically advanced newborn stem cell facility in the world.
State-of-the-art processing and storage:
- Uses only FDA-cleared, seamless storage bags
- Stores samples in segments for the possibility of multiple uses
- Safeguards against cross-contamination by hermetically sealing each sample in overwrap envelopes and suspending them above liquid nitrogen